Saturday, August 29, 2009

Playing Catchup

The kids have been in school since the end of July. They are both doing very well in school. Kait is on the safety patrol and recently recieved a letter from the Elementary Honors Society that she is now a member and will go to an induction on Sept 21. Tyler is really very good in school so far maintaining 3 a's and 2 b's. Here in the next month, he has the opportunity to join a league and learn how to shoot pool and eventually participate in competitions. Very exciting.

This weekend, we are celebrating Tyler's 13th birthday with his friends.( His actual birthday is Sept 1st) Yesterday one of his friends came over and spent the night last night and will again tonight along with 2 other of his friends. Full house.

I have been working very hard to lose weight and train for a 10k run next July. I had been switching things over to a new diet and I guess frankly a new lifestyle. I quit smoking a little over 12 weeks ago which feels great. I started walking and running. I can now run a solid half of mile without gasping for breath. I now walk and run 3.4 miles. Along with all this excersize, I have been changing the diet as well.
I dont eat red meat anymore, only chicken, turkey and occasionally fish. Lots of fruit and veggies and recently started drinking vanilla soymilk which is really not as bad as I thought it would be.
Anyway, yesterday, I found out from my doctor that my cholesterol and triglycerides are "absolutely horrible" according to my doctor. ( I also recently learned that genetics plays a huge part in this and that there are a lot of members in the family who have high cholesterol and are on meds or trying to prevent being on meds for it.)
So now I have to take two types of meds to lower those. Which of course has led me to looking at more options to changing my diet even more, like adding blueberry oatmeal and a special soymilk that also helps decrease cholesterol.

Either way, you have to crawl before you walk and when you come to a point in your life when you realize that the things you used to do arent cutting it and you decide to change those things, you realize that you are crawling again. I am learning how to have a different lifestyle and working towards goals that put me in a different mindset. My goals now lower cholesterol and trigs, lose 60 pds, and be able to run almost 7 miles. Easy huh !!!!

I am very excited that starting next week, College Football !!! WOOOHOOO!!!! I love college football, which reminds me that I need to check my information on Espn to get ready for College Pick'em.
I am hoping that with a new coach for Tennessee and new coordinators that my team will be a lot better this year. I am not expecting a huge conference game or championship but I am not keeping those tiny dreams out of my head either. hehe

No comments: